Monday, December 26, 2011

Gender Reveal!

On Monday, December 12th, we had our appointment with the Center for Medical Genetics for our first trimester screening ultrasound and blood work. This Ultrascreen combines an ultrasound, also known as the nuchal translucency scan, and labs to test for genetic abnormalities such as Downs and trisomy 18. An additional test the company provides is the early gender test, also known as the Jack and Jill test. (We also had this done with Avery, but it was brand new then.) The labwork looks at fetal DNA circulating in my bloodstream to determine the gender of the baby. It is relatively new, and many offices don't offer it quite yet. It has about a 98% accuracy rate.

The day we did the testing that lab technician gave us a number, which we were to call only after 7-10 business days. However, since I am working/getting clinical hours in the office where my OB is, I knew we would get the results super fast. So on Wednesday, Candace, the phone RN, came running down the hall with the results! Instead of having her tell me then, I had her write it down on a sheet of paper, and put in in an envelope so Brian and I could open it that night.


So here is what we saw!!!!!

We were so surprised!!! Poor Brian, I don't think he ever even considered we were having a BOY, since I have been so sick with this pregnancy, which is exactly what is was like with Avery. I think we just both expected another girl. I love surprises, and this was a BIG one :) The next day my OB also texted me saying that they received all of the other ultrasound results and labs, and that they were all normal. What another wonderful blessing.

Now it's time to start getting ready for a little boy! This house needs some BLUE!

No comments:

Post a Comment