Monday, January 4, 2010

Once in a blue moon

Did you see the Blue Moon that occurred on New Year's Eve?
There are in fact two definitions for a blue moon. According to the more recent definition, a blue moon is the second full moon in a calendar month. For a blue moon to occur, the first of the full moons must appear at or near the beginning of the month so that the second will fall within the same month (the average span between two moons is 29.5 days).

Blue moons occur about once every two and a half years, which is the origin
of the saying "once in a blue moon."
When I originally took these pics, I thought that Blue moons only occurred about once every 30 years, or so, but wrong, it looks like they are a little more common than I thought, oh well, it was still fun to see. What a way to send out 2009!
I call Avery my little moon watcher. She is always on the lookout for it, day or night. (Lately it has been out during the day.) She gets soooo excited when she sees it, and gets upset when she can't see it. I ask her about the sun, but she seems unimpressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment